We’re always happy to advise your local contractor about installation specific to soapstone.
Installation by your contractor
With no investment in special tooling, we guarantee that any experienced contractor can easily perform soapstone installation. Plus, we are available to consult with your contractor every step of the way.
We make the following recommendations for the installation and maintenance of soapstone material:
- Cutting: Masonry blade in skill-saw or table-saw. 8-10 TPI blade in jigsaw. Total support of work and cut-off.
- Drilling: Metal speed bit or hole saw.
- Shaping: Wood rasp or carbide router bit.
- Counter/Vanity Tops – Set tops and backsplash with panel adhesive (we like Phenoseal), seal joints with two-part translucent epoxy (for stone, glass or metal).
- Finishing: 40 Grit sanding belt to match slab, 80 Grit to finish before oiling counters.
- Masonry: Thin set mortar (Silpro Masco) with a bonding agent (Silpro C-21).
- Sinks: All soapstone sinks must be built at our mill in advance of installation. Bench test after uncrating. Install with support from bottom. All sinks manufactured for I.S.E. disposal (Ace, Sears, Kitchen Aid) or Chicago Specialty’s Spin and Lock Basket (Ace).
- Tile: Set with thin set mortar with bonding agent or with tile adhesive. Grout to match or contrast.
At Vermont Soapstone we’re committed to following state and federal guidelines to help ensure the safety of both our employees and our customers. We are open Mon-Fri 9 am-3 pm to answer your questions and take orders, as well as have someone fill requirements in the mill. You are welcome to come and select stone by appointment.
Additionally, we are checking email at [email protected] on a regular basis. If you have an installation scheduled, please view our guidelines via the link below to be fully prepared for our crew under COVID-19 safety procedures. We’re still limiting the distance our crews travel for installs, but if you’re outside of northern New England, give us a call. We custom fabricate, crate and ship sinks, countertops, and other products all over the country and into Canada and Mexico. If we can’t get to you, we can advise and guide your local installer on the unique nature of soapstone.
Thank you for your interest in our products as well as your understanding and support during this challenging time. Please take good care of yourselves and those around you.
Glenn Bowman, Vermont Soapstone